Reception – Spring Week 9
What a busy week we’ve had in reception. One of the stories we enjoyed was a firm favourite called ‘We’re going on a bear hunt’. The story is about a family that waded through the grass, splashed through the river and squelched through the mud in search of a bear! The children loved joining in with the chant and making up their own actions!
- In maths this week we have been investigating the numbers within 7. Through games and practical experiences, the children learnt that 7 is made up of smaller parts for example 7 can be made of 5 and 2.
- For letters and sounds we continue to work on our phase 3 sounds. Please refer to the phonics guidance in our home learning where you can access helpful videos to help your child practise at home. We have been reading words with double letters such as ‘rubber’, ‘butter’, ‘dinner’ as well as chunking up longer words such as ‘rubb/ish’ and ‘tim/id’.
- For our cooking activity this week both our reception classes made cupcakes. We weighed out the ingredients, mixed them together and scooped the mixture into cupcake cases ready for the oven. The children really enjoyed munching them all up at the end of the day eating every last crumb!
We are collecting recycled materials for our junk modelling station. Ideally, we would like small boxes, washed yoghurt pots, kitchen rolls (no toilet rolls please) and small containers. Please can we ask that any recycled material that previously had nut products inside do not come in due to allergies that we have in school. Please could the items be brought in a bag. Thank you
Have a lovely weekend – The Foundation Stage Team
Reception – Spring Week 8
In the foundation stage this week we have been rather busy, as usual, and have had a fantastic week enjoying the cold but sunny weather.
- In maths this week we have worked on comparison. Specifically, we have looked at subitising (saying the number without needing to count the quantity) for larger numbers such as 6. We have also been talking about the relationship between each of the numbers from 1-8, recalling which numbers are ‘1 more’ and ‘1 less’ than a given number. The children have articulated their thinking very well and are able to order numbers, they have also been brilliant at understanding 8 as ‘5 and 3 more’.
- For letters and sounds we are working on our phase 3 sounds and reading word cards without ‘sound buttons’. The children have been fantastic and are beginning to flourish with both their reading and writing which is wonderful to see.
- We’ve been looking at ‘healthy me’ for our carpet times this half term and have talked this week about the importance of exercise and the positive effect it has on our bodies. The children talked about a wide range of exercise they enjoy and how it makes them feel. We played lots of games and enjoyed completing different forms of exercise including riding our balance bikes n our outdoor area which is a firm favourite!
- Finally, we celebrated World Book Day on Friday this week. The children had a wonderful time dressing up as their favourite book characters. Some of the older children paid us a visit in their costumes and spent some time reading picture books to our reception children which was a delight!
Have a great weekend – The Foundation Stage Team ?